Step 7: Create Your First Email
In the previous step, we explored how to create your first marketing automation flow.
A big part of marketing automation is sending highly-converting and engaging emails.
In Encharge, there are two ways to send emails:
- In Flows through the Send Email step. That's what we did in the previous article when creating your first flow. You would use Flows to send automated event-based emails, sequences, or other types of automated email campaigns.
- With Broadcasts. Broadcasts are one-time newsletter campaigns. If you'd like to send a one-time email announcement, you'd use Broadcasts.
The Emails Page
The Emails page is your hub or list page with all of your emails. When you create a new email, it will automatically appear on this page. All Emails, whether used in Flows or Broadcasts, are saved on the Emails page.
You can also go to the Emails page to create emails there. You can later use these emails in Flows or Broadcasts.
Pro tip: The great thing about the Emails page is that you can create emails in advance before you start working on your flows. That way, when you're creating your flow you can simply select emails to attach and focus on the flow building instead.
To create a new email from the Emails page just click on the Add new email button (blue plus sign button) on the bottom left.
Encharge supports two ways of creating an email:
- Drag and Drop Email Builder – if you want to create advanced email layouts and graphic emails. The Drag and Drop Email builder also allows you to import HTML emails and customize the code of your emails.
- Simple Editor – the simple editor has a basic set of formatting options. It's best if you want to keep your emails simple without any complex layouts or graphics.
Below we're going to take a look into the Drag and Drop Email Editor
The Drag and Drop Email Builder
Encharge has an advanced drag-and-drop email builder that allows you to create beautiful custom email templates.
Go to the Content tab to drag and drop Blocks such as images, text, and buttons.
You can customize the appearance of your email or specific blocks from the Appearance tab.
When creating your first email make sure to change the default settings of the email:
- Subject line (required)
- From email (required): enter your email address. You can use different From emails. For example, you may send one email from your personal email address but send a different email from your support's team email address.
- From name (required): enter your name
- Reply to settings (optional): if your Reply to email address is different from your From email address.
Before you save your email make sure to change the default email footer.
Although not required, once you're done with creating your email and its settings, we highly encourage you to send yourself a test email. By default, this will send a test email to the email address you use to login. If you'd like to send to a different email click on the arrow next to the Send test button.
Email personalization with merge tags
Encharge supports dynamic merge tags with the data from your person fields and custom fields. When you're in the Email builder, click on Merge tags where you'd be able to select from a list of available tags.
Note that Encharge merge tags use the Liquid tags syntax.
Quick Start Checklist
From logging in Encharge to activating your first automation flow, we've compiled a list of your first action items.
Step 2: Set Up Your Mailing Address